As the Russia-Ukraine war enters its 389th working day, we consider a glimpse at the principal developments.
In this article is the situation as it stands on Sunday, March 19, 2023:
- Ukrainian military says its forces exterior the eastern city of Bakhmut are controlling to hold Russian units at bay so ammunition, meals, devices and medicines can be shipped to defenders.
- Russia’s Wagner mercenary team programs to recruit some 30,000 new fighters by the center of May possibly, its founder Yevgeny Prigozhin stated.
- Russian attacks killed two men and women and wounded 10 in the japanese Ukrainian city of Kramatorsk on Saturday, a governor said, accusing Moscow of making use of cluster bombs in the attack.
- President Vladimir Putin has toured Mariupol, nearly one yr after Moscow claimed to have captured the strategic port city. This is the Russian leader’s very first journey to the Donbas region given that the commencing of the Ukraine conflict in February past yr.
- Putin went to Crimea on Saturday on an unannounced check out to mark the ninth anniversary of Moscow’s annexation of the peninsula from Ukraine.
- A deal making it possible for the harmless Black Sea export of Ukrainian grain was renewed for at least 60 days – 50 % the intended period – immediately after Russia warned any even more extension beyond mid-May perhaps would depend on the elimination of some Western sanctions.
- 3 senior US safety officials held a online video simply call with a group of their Ukrainian counterparts to explore navy help to Kyiv, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s chief of employees mentioned.
- President Xi Jinping heads to Russia on Monday hoping to deliver a breakthrough on Ukraine as China seeks to placement itself as a peacemaker.